Friday, May 21, 2010

Office Politics?

For the first time (in office), I have encountered a situation when I did something out of concern but ended up looking as if i am bitching about someone else..

Maybe office politics isn't exactly the right word here, but i kinda think i haven't been prudent enough in what I did this time round.. The situation was like this. One of my colleague in the office had some financial difficulty previously. It is a known fact as she has been telling us about it as we are one of her closer friends in office. So, in the early days, she had borrowed money from a us. But we keep it strictly among our small group as she approached everyone one of us individually. So we know.. The thing is recently, there are people who approach me and my other colleague separately (in 2 occasions) to ask if they cud trust her or if she borrowed from us. Hearing this from a colleague kinda make us feel it is not so nice to her. Cause words will start spreading.

So out of concern, I thought I shud let her know that she shud be more careful with the people she is asking, as some actually doesn't fancy her that much and has been talking behind her. And now even worse, on the topic of loaning money. So i thought I should warn her. But instead of telling us what happen. She actually denied it, and keep looking for reasons why the people could be talking about it (which are not convincing at all)

The problem is for one, she is being very defensive, she doesn't admit to us the truth but fair enough cause we know she is really in difficulty and she might not want to make us feel awkward and it is really personal. But I have to warn her that people are spreading words and she shud be careful.. but the whole thing turn out I was giving away the friend who came over and ask, i mean that guy is quite friendly, and he is malaysian. Just sometimes he say things too directly and might harm people. But the people who are really responsible for this are those who tell him that,. spreading the rumours.. So swhen she asked me who said it. and then said i heard from my colleague she had send an email to that colleague telling him if he has any issue with her, he can go and talk directly with her.. I thought like damn it.. what is my colleague gonna think of me..

Sometimes, when you are intending to help someone, ended up u might get hated by both parties.. So.. for now, i am gonna stay far far far away from this. I am not going say a word or bother about it anymore i think..

Sometiems, in the working world, i guess we really have to be careful of what we say or do.. But i dun like this...

2 comments:

  1. Borrowing money is a touchy subject in and out of the office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea will... that's why I can understand that she is being defensive on that subject.. But just my intention to remind her seems to have gone totally in a wrong direction... sigh..

    ReplyDelete