Sunday, September 5, 2010

Compassion - I almost cried

This is again another "Night at McD"



Another nite with hot drink, some snacks and my Millenium series. Basically the highlight is the apple crumble pie... by highlight I mean I kinda feel like it taste a lot like apple pie.. but it cost like 3.5 times of it.. =s



But it was because of this McD nite out that I see something that kinda makes me feel a little guilty and uneasy... (and i dun mean the supper)

**********************************

When I was buying another 6 piece nugget, there was this old lady who was limping a little and walking towards the counter. She couldn't speak english but obviously she is a regular cause another chinese waitress knew what she wanted. But the auntie made a little changes, instead of the usual 2 Mc Chicken, she ask for chicken (McChicken) and fish (fillet-o-fish) burger and she took 4 dollar out from a plastic bag of coins. (Well I guess for u guys who eat that, u know the only burger that is 2 dollar is double cheese and Mc Chicken)

The waitress who is at the counter is not chinese, she was obviously irritated and speak impatiently to the auntie as if she is trying to cheat money ( at this point I was really pissed again, for god sake, it is so obvious the auntie is illiterate and didn't mean it!!!) yet ppl cant show a bit more patient with the elderly... its really sad.. so i try to help her out.

But it really wasn't the bad attitude and lack of compassion that upset me, I mean it is not like I havent see enough of what ppl respect and have patient for here, (the rich and power, plus caucasians, and not the needies..). But it was really the scene that the old lady was counting coins, and using just a plastic bag (how many people wouldn't even use something that doesn't carry the 2 letters L and V). It makes me feel bad how I have been spending lately with my extra allowance. I mean i used to spend like 1.50, 1.80 for a meal every day, controlling my budget between 3 to 4 dollar a day and I really understand how hard it is. But as times goes, when I can afford more, i seem to forget about spending reasonably. I did get a little too easy with myself lately... sigh... I feel really bad when I see how there are ppl who are struggling with money while I spend like no body's business... (okay not to that extend but still.. I feel bad..)

And also, i kinda realize that how poverty and the rich are separated in Singapore, you hardly even see these ppl in the cities, like orchard, city hall. It is like you go around, you see ppl living happily and can afford all the luxury goods. It only makes you feel that Singapore ppl are really well being and no one is suffering. Well, but not the case. It is just they somehow seems to be separated in a totally different place and active hour... And a lot of kids here seriously dont know how lucky they are... being so well brought up, yet still not contented with what they have...

I am lucky, in many ways, maybe not in certain areas but all in all, I guess I am really lucky... Till now, I still feel bad for what I have seen... And people here should have more compassion for others, there are lives where we havent seen before, the beautiful nice world we see, is not the real world we live in... there are a lot more and they deserve, if not our help, at least a little bit of respect and compassion. At least learn to speak with a little patience... =(

*** In case you might argue that at least she can afford to eat McD, hey, it is 3am in the morning and there is no other restaurant within walking distance. And she obviously work those abnormal hours... And it might not even be for herself... =(

5 comments:

  1. Apple pie in Malaysia's McD doen't look like the one in the picture. Urs looks nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno why it's common to see old ladies keeping money in plastic bags... I just recently saw it happen at a MV foodcourt. But the woman should be rich, since she has a maid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bravebear, thats actually an applepie sold in McCafe, but the apple filling taste a lot like apple pie, hence i mention it.. haa..

    will... i am being emo leh!!! and the lady i saw dun have a maid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing that makes me concern is the elderly people working at the food court when I was at sg... maybe I shouldn't be bias but perhaps they should enjoy life at such age and not working anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. pikey, ur observation is very true.. but life here id tough, especially when u r not in the middle class.. which is why i told my mom unless i am filthy rich, or else there is no way we r getting old here..

    its really tough..

    ReplyDelete