Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Selective Amnesia

Or simply, choose to forget?

I remember once watching an animation series where a person has lost one part of memory in his life because the incident had traumatised him so badly that with all his will power, he manage to "lock" that part of his memory so deep that he really don't "know" about it until one day, a "key" (person or item) has been presented to him that force the memory out again.

It is pretty drama-fiction nature of course. But today, when I was trying to tell someone about the place my ex live and I used to visit, I actually couldn't remember the name. A place where I used to go every weekend for close to 9 months continuously. A place I once passed by everyday to go to work. I can remember the station before it, I can remember the station after it, but no matter how hard I try, I couldn't recall that particular station. Come to think of it, at that time, I have always feared to passed through that station, because on one hand I was hoping he will alight the train and I get to see him, but only ends up in dissapointment again and again. Which is why when I got into my new job at a different place, I felt such a relief to have finally be able to avoid that route. And to the extend I avoid going anywhere near there or having the need to pass through there.

And after a year, I actually forgotten about the place, well at least the name of the place. In some way, it does feel similar to the animation, fear, traumatized feeling that lead to "locking" up the memory, doesn't it?

****************************************************

Sky, Will, JJ... or anyone who reads this, I am planning a trip during CNY to take my mom and bro to Bangkok, am looking at the hotel options now and wonder if you guys are familiar with any? First is the location, I can only remember Silom seems pretty nice, and on internet Sukhumvit seems pretty happening too though I couldn't remember and lastly Pratunam? My second concerns is I want a room or possibly suite that can fits 3, doesn't have to be utmost comfy but at least the hotel wouldn't "kacau" us (for the extra person) and my budget is up to about SGD120 a nite... possible? any suggestion?

Much appreciated...

5 comments:

  1. Nothing to do with "locking up" etc lah. It's just natural to forget some things if you don't regularly retain them in your memory. Think about it: I'm sure there are some nice things in the past that you forget some of their details, right?

    I've not been to Bangkok. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No more locking up. Just set it free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kidz: I'm not too familiar with BKK, unable to give good advise. For S$ 120, you may have pretty good choice in BKK. Yes, Sukhumvit is happening....can I join? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess some things are better forgotten. Especially if it's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJ, that's the detail right, but this is like MRT station name? =p

    Will, i suppose it is free now..

    SKy, sure.. haha someone sharing the hotel cost, I am more than happy, make it 4 person and take 2 rooms :P

    Hi Paul! But I guess sadly, the more painful it is, the harder it seems to get it out of our memory doesn't it? Just like wound may heal, but a scar will probably always be there..

    ReplyDelete