Friday, April 23, 2010

Singlish : Sabo

I am not 100% sure if this is totally a part of Singlish as I havent heard of it till I came here and it is actually very commonly used among the locals.

But just being here, somehow we have to get acclimatize to the culture (well or maybe I shud say accidentally let the culture sip in a little) and thus I have used it once in a while too..

The origin of the word:
Sabotage (my understanding is, to destroy)

How it is used:
Scenario 1:
Professor: "Who knows how to solve this equation?"
Friend A: " Sir, Ah Beng knows!"
Ah Beng: " Walau sabo me! "

Scenario 2:
Professor: "Who knows how to solve this equation?"
Friend A: " Sir, Ah Beng knows!"
Ah Beng... = ="
Friend B: "Eh, u kena sabo leh.."

The reason i am talking about it cause there was a perfect situation to used it yesterday during my boss farewell party..

*****************************************
Background info: Previously during the introduction session they were asking what is ur interest so at that time i spend a lot of time in Karaoke.. so naturally i said that and they all remember it forever.
*****************************************

There was this music genius who really doesn't look very "musical" in our team that play us 2 songs on piano and then another on guitar. When he was playing the guitar and singing a very nice song (I mean the song itself was nice.. no comment on the singer =p) .. It is "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz.. So naturally I was humming along (behind the crowd).. Then...

Colleague A: "EH!! Chih Ping, what are you doing there!! " (aloud = =")

Me: "Walau.. sabo me.. " = ="

But too late.. everyone suddenly remember what i said before and turn and pull me to the centre, it was awkward cause obviously the guitar was the main show i was standing there like a moron singing along.. and further more, the best part which is th beginning was already sang.. hmph.. =p

Anyway it is the second time, first time it was my boss who ask me to sing the song he met his wife =p.. So tips of the day, if u want to tell someone / people something, make sure there are no or minimal side effect..

2 comments: