Wednesday, March 10, 2010

知足

I was trying to think of a word in English to describe 知足 (zhi zhu) but somehow forgive my poor vocabulary, I couldn't think of an exact word that carries the same meaning. The word means to be grateful and feel contented for what we have.

Ever since young, we have been taught to be grateful for what we have. At that point, I only thought it was because our family wasn't that well being, thus we shouldn't ask for too much.

Even till now, I wouldn't say I totally comprehend the meaning as we are all still struggling for more, practically in every sense, we want more money, we want more fame, we want to be superior, we want everything the world can give (speaking in general, not necessary everyone seeks everything though), etc...

However, in someway, i am able to appreciate this word better now, after studying through the 4 years, after going through some experience, after meeting some people... At least just today, it makes me realize sometimes we are not happy because we emphasize too much on things we do not have, rather than enjoying things we have, and feel contented about it.

Today, I just went down to buy my late lunch after I woke up, i guess my eyes must still be half open as the guy at the cashier was asking if I just woke up, so I say yea and then we chatted about the nite working as he was wondering how come I am sleeping at this hour...

At the end, he said: " You should have more rest and drink more water, you look really tired.. =) "

It makes me feel so touched.. and makes me think, I have always feel lonely ever since we break up, cause it makes me feel I am lonely again, that no one would be there to share all the ups and downs, or to how me how am I feeling when I am sick. But i guess I have forgotten that I still my family, my friends, my colleagues who are all very nice people and who cares. Even this cashier guy whom I only met like a few minutes everytime I go down to buy food, can show his concern, isn't that a blessing already?

******************************************

When i think back, sometimes the reason we failed in a relationship, it could be because we want to much from someone, rather than we really want to see him happy. If we really love someone, we ought to be grateful when he is happy, even if it means the happiness doesn't come from us, but rather, from someone else who is important to him... We shud wish them all the best...

Just as the songs says.. you will truly own something, when you learn to appreciate being grateful...


Happy Birthday... May you be happy hence...

1 comment:

  1. yes its touching (not those touch touch ok :P) esp when its coming from some1 who we don't know. its pure n simple, yet it makes our day easier to live by. so r u going there everyday? hehe...

    ReplyDelete