Thursday, March 18, 2010

When I was 18

St.James powerhouse is located just soemwhere near my office. This morning (early morning) as I was taking a short break and strolling about, I notice a huge group of youngsters in the late teens and early 20's , all waiting near the MRT station, some talking to friends, soem sitting on the floor looking exhausted, while some simply just lying unconciously on the floor.

Okay, so it was ladies nite yesterday, I used to have this impression it was a nite for the working ladies (still single) to attract the men, somewhat like a wild match-making nite.. I mean afterall this is Singapore, a typical big city where sometimes people, especially ladies who are high flyers in their careers tend to forget about the little romance part of their life until they turn certain age and keep being bombarded by wedding invitations from their school mates.. thus these places for a start.. Dun get me wrong, they are probably very attractive by straight standard and furthermore they have financial stability, even better than some guys out there, just no time maybe..

Well, anyway, my real point is on the youngster, there are some clubs in Singapore that says minimum entry for guys is 25 and for girls 18. Well, even my standard 1 nephew who watch enough of hong kong drama can tell you what's the intention. BUt still I was "WOW" the first time I knew that.. I mean, if you look at it from another point of view, this is encouraging young women (merely school grad) to social (or I would like to say, trying to hook up) men who have a career. Even more, men who are rich...

Again this reminds me of another stories from the taiwanese writter. She was comparing young women of different generation, the earlier generation (currently in their 30's, 40's) would feel that it is a disgrace if they have got something, like say, a job, a promotion, a LV bag etc etc, because they have a relationship with some rich men. But the younger gen, like mine, they simply think it is perfectly normal. They dun see it so much as an exchange that they sleep with the guy and the guy pay them back something.. Rather, they just take it as a short relationship and they feel proud of it, being able to hook up some rich guy...

So this is our generation? I mean just take yesterday nite, it was meant for young working women, to attract the men, but ended up attracting even younger girls, hoping to get to know these men and then even younger boys to in turn know these young girls... Gosh, what was I doing when I was 18... but I have to admit, it is a good marketing strategy though...

Just in case you are wondering, I didn't mention seeing any mature people around the place but it isn't hard to guess why, they probably have their own transport or took a cab home... This part, I cud understand =p

1 comment:

  1. well i think u have some fact wrong at here. In spore the men r allow enter that particular club section for 25yrs above bcos NS rules and regulation. There is some point as well but i'm just plain lazy to list it out at here go figure out by uself.

    ReplyDelete